When can you ask for a modification of your custody plan?

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2020 | Family Law |

The courts know that there is no way for life to remain the same forever. That’s why it’s not unusual for them to hear cases where parents want to modify their custody plans.

There are so many reasons why you might want to change your custody schedule that it’s hard to name them all, but some reasons could include:

  • Getting a new job
  • Sending your child to a different school
  • Remarrying
  • Moving out of the country
  • Moving out of the state
  • Losing a job

…and others.

In California, you need to show that there was a significant change in your circumstances to ask for the modification of a court order.

Of course, you do have the option of working out a new custody plan outside court. Some parents do so as necessary, having an informal agreement in place. If they agree, they may submit the changes to the court for approval. Other parents want to have a formal change made, so they’ll turn to a court and judge to ask for the modification. This method is particularly helpful if the parents don’t get along.

What should you do if you think you need a modification?

If you think you need to modify your child custody schedule, talk to your ex-spouse first. Most people are reasonable, and they may agree to the changes that you want to make if they are able to. If they don’t want to make changes and you need to see those changes happen, then you may want to discuss filing for a modification with the local court.