Hoover Krepelka, LLP - Lawyer
PLEASE NOTE: We are OPEN. However, due to the COVID-19 situation, our attorneys are working remotely. We are available for our clients and new consultations by phone, and we look forward to supporting you through this difficult time.

Board Certified Family Law Specialists Serving Northern California

When can you ask for a modification of your custody plan?

The courts know that there is no way for life to remain the same forever. That's why it's not unusual for them to hear cases where parents want to modify their custody plans.

There are so many reasons why you might want to change your custody schedule that it's hard to name them all, but some reasons could include:

  • Getting a new job
  • Sending your child to a different school
  • Remarrying
  • Moving out of the country
  • Moving out of the state
  • Losing a job

...and others.

In California, you need to show that there was a significant change in your circumstances to ask for the modification of a court order.

Of course, you do have the option of working out a new custody plan outside court. Some parents do so as necessary, having an informal agreement in place. If they agree, they may submit the changes to the court for approval. Other parents want to have a formal change made, so they'll turn to a court and judge to ask for the modification. This method is particularly helpful if the parents don't get along.

What should you do if you think you need a modification?

If you think you need to modify your child custody schedule, talk to your ex-spouse first. Most people are reasonable, and they may agree to the changes that you want to make if they are able to. If they don't want to make changes and you need to see those changes happen, then you may want to discuss filing for a modification with the local court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Highly Recommended
  • Top 10 | Family Law Attorney | 2019
  • Avvo Clients' Choice Award
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel nation's top one percent NADC
  • Expertise Best Child Support Lawyers in San Jose 2018
  • American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
  • State Bar Of California California Board Of Legal Specialization
  • Esteemed Lawyers ELOA
  • 10 Best 2017 Attorney Client Satisfaction American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
  • Lawyers Of Distinction
  • BBB | Accredited Business
Email Us For a Response

Learn Your Legal Options

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

Contact Preferences

How would you like to be contacted?This field is required.

Check all that apply.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hoover Krepelka, LLP - Lawyer

1520 The Alameda
Suite 200
San Jose, CA 95126

Phone: 408-922-9826
Fax: 408-947-7603
San Jose Law Office Map

We speak English, Spanish, Arabic,
Russian, Portuguese and French.