Julia P. McDowell
- Partner, 2020
- Certified Family Law Specialist, 2018
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Visitation Rights
- Domestic Violence Issues
- Grandparents’ Rights
Julia McDowell received a Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies from the University of California, Berkeley in 2003, completing a four year program in two and a half years. She graduated from the University of California, Davis with a JURIS DOCTORATE, in 2007. She also received a Public Interest Law Certificate from UC Davis for her involvement in numerous public interest classes and her work with severely emotionally disturbed children. While at UC Davis, Ms. McDowell was a member of the Advocates for the Rights of Children, Journal of Juvenile Law and Policy, NCAA Equity Sub-Committee and Women's Tennis Team, Division I.
Ms. McDowell joined Hoover ♦ Krepelka, LLP as an Associate Attorney in September 2008 and was promoted to Senior Associate in 2012. In October of 2016, Julia McDowell was promoted to Senior Counsel when she earned the prestigious status of Certified Family Law Specialist, an honor by the California State Bar bestowed upon only approximately 10% of family law attorneys. In 2018, Ms. McDowell was again promoted to Managing Counsel as she began to oversee the onboarding and mentoring of Hoover Krepelka's expanding lineup of Associate Attorneys. In March 2020, she was named Partner.
As Partner, Ms. McDowell has vast experience handling cases of various complexity, from the most simple to the most complicated. She has dealt with every issue related to family law including custody and visitation, move-away, child and spousal support, division of property, reimbursement claims, domestic violence and attorney's fees. Ms. McDowell has successfully handled numerous trials of varying lengths, including one that lasted two and a half weeks. She also has broad experience in working with medical, forensic, and psychological experts in regards to case preparation, trial preparation and settlement.
Prior to joining the firm, she worked as a staff attorney at Sacramento Child Advocates representing children in the dependency system. Through that position, she gained extensive experience in the areas of child custody, visitation rights, domestic violence issues and grandparents' rights. Ms. McDowell's experience with the dependency system provides her with a unique perspective into how violence and substance abuse can affect a family. She has lectured for the Santa Clara County Association of Legal Professionals and for a San Jose educational seminar for women of divorce. Ms. McDowell is fluent in Russian.
During her free time, Ms. McDowell can be found at the climbing gym, exploring the beautiful landscape of California or curled up with a book. Her passion for travel has led her and her husband to visit all seven continents, including Antarctica. In 2018, Ms. McDowell and her husband created and run a non-profit organization that works predominantly in Malawi, Africa, with the focus being on education through the management of a free village pre-school for 100+ children and the sponsorship of 8 bright high school students.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Public Interest Law Certificate, UC Davis
- Certified Family Law Specialist, California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, 2017
- University of California at Davis School of Law, Davis, California
- J.D. - 2007
- Honors: Advocates for the Rights of Children, Member
- Honors: Public Interest Law Certificate
- Honors: NCAA Equity Sub-Committee, Member
- Honors: Women’s Tennis Team, Division I, Member
- University of California, Berkeley, California
- B.A. - 2003
- Santa Clara County Association of Legal Professionals, Lecturer
Past Employment Positions
- Hoover Krepelka, LLP, Partner 2020
- Hoover Krepelka, LLP, Managing Counsel 2018
- Hoover Krepelka, LLP, Senior Counsel, 2016
- Hoover Krepelka, LLP, Senior Associate, 2012 to 2016
- Hoover Krepelka, LLP, Associate Attorney, 2008 to 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- CASA, Volunteer
- Court Appointed Special Advocate in El Dorado County, CASA volunteer