- Partner, Certified Family Law Specialist
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
As a Certified Family Law Specialist, Mr. James J. Hoover represents clients in all aspects of family law litigation, including but not limited to, domestic violence, child custody and visitation, property identification, characterization, valuation and division, spousal support, child support, breaches of fiduciary duties, reimbursement claims, dates of separation, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and related matters. After many years of experience, Mr. Hoover skillfully settles and if necessary, litigates all of these issues.
Mr. Hoover educates, advocates and acts in our clients' best interests on these issues. He pays particular attention to our clients' emotional and financial difficulties.
James J. Hoover attended Santa Clara University, graduating Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor's degree in accounting; minor in economics, in 1998. In 2001, Mr. Hoover graduated Summa Cum Laude from Santa Clara University School of Law. He ranked 4th in his class of over 200 students, receiving "top of the class" CALI Awards in the following classes: Contracts, Torts, Commercial Transactions, Wills and Trusts, Dispute Resolution and Criminal Procedure.
Given his experience, expertise and common sense, Mr. Hoover is frequently appointed by the Santa Clara Superior Court to serve as Judge Pro-Tem to settle complicated cases on behalf of the judiciary. Mr. Hoover also has facilitated family law matters as a mediator.
In May 2013, James J. Hoover earned the prestigious status of Certified Family Law Specialist, an honor by the California State Bar Board of Specialization bestowed upon only approximately 10% of family law attorneys. Mr. Hoover is a five-time recipient (2012, 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019) of the Avvo Clients’ Choice Award for the divorce attorney category. This rare and coveted distinction is based on continuous positive client reviews.
When not at work, Mr. Hoover enjoys spending time with his family, doing anything outdoors, travelling, playing his ukulele and making kahelelani shell necklaces. He has completed 11 marathons, including 9 Napa Valley Marathons with personal record of three hours and twenty one minutes.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist, California State Bar Board of Specialization, 2013
- California, 2001
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- J.D - Summa Cum Laude - 2001
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Ranked 4th in graduating class of 212 students
- Honors: “Top of the Class” CALI Awards in the following classes: Contracts, Torts, Commercial Transactions, Wills and Trusts, Dispute Resolution and Criminal Procedure
- Santa Clara University, California
- Bachelor's Magna Cum Laude - 1998
- Major: Accounting
- Minor: Economics
Honors and Awards
- Certified Family Law Specialist, 2013 as recognized by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Avvo Client’s Choice Award, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- The Expert Network, Best Child Custody Attorney Office – Santa Clara
- Three Best Rated, Best Family Law Attorney Office – San Jose
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Silicon Valley Capital Club
Pro Bono Activities
- Santa Clara Superior Court, Judge Pro-Tem
- ADVISORY COUNSEL, WOMEN SV